Today is the birthday of John Peel. He taught me how to be a DJ back before I knew I wanted to be one. He championed many bands, including The Fall, The White Stripes, and Joy Division. “Peel Sessions” were and still are a label that I buy almost without question. If John Peel had you on his show, it meant you were worth listening to, and it meant that you were going to put on a good performance. Here’ s a letter that he wrote to one of his listeners. Today’s show is dedicated to him. We should all be so lucky to have great music in our lives. Thankfully, the BBC has kept up the archive of quite a few Peel Sessions.
Early Listener Bonus Tracks:
- Church Pants by Hail Mary Mallon from Are You Gonna Eat That? [Rhymesayers]
- Shutterbug by Big Boi from Sir Lucious Leftfoot–The Son Of Chico Dusty [Def Jam]
- Back To Life by Soul II Soul from Club Classics Vol. One [Virgin]
- Reggae Pie by Mister Heavenly from Out Of Love [Sub Pop]
- Too Much MIDI (Please Forgive Me) by Ford & Lopatin from Channel Pressure [Mexican Summer / Software]
- Benny And The Jets by TV Girl from Benny And The Jets [Self-Released]
- Benny And The Jets by Beastie Boys f. Biz Markee from The Sounds of Science [Grand Royal/Capitol]
- Monster Mask by Pomplamoose from Monster Mask [Self-Released]
- Utilitarian Demo by Spoon from Utilitarian Demo [Self-Released]
- Going And Going And Going by Icebird (RJD2 & Aaron Livingston) from The Abandoned Lullaby [RJs Electrical Connections]
- Baby Missles by The War On Drugs from Slave Ambient [Secretly Canadian]
- This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) by Talking Heads from Speaking In Tongues [Sire]
- Gone For Good by The Shins from Chutes Too Narrow [Sub Pop]
- Know Your Rights by The Clash from Combat Rock [Epic/Sony]
- Half A World Away by R.E.M. from Out Of Time [Warner]
- Sweetheart (aka Love You) by HTRK from Eat Yr Heart / Sweetheart
- Wall Street by Battles from Gloss Drop [Warp]
- Born On A Day The Sun Didn’t Rise by Black Moth Super Rainbow from Eating Us [Graveface]
- Hanging On by Active Child from You Are All I See [Vagrant]
- One Hundred Other Lovers by DeVotchKa from 100 Lovers [Anti]
- Old Friend by Caveman from Coco Beware [Magic Man]
- Transmission by Joy Division from Peel Sessions [Strange Fruit]
- Van Lear Rose by The White Stripes from Peel Session 02-04-04
- Who’s To Say? by The White Stripes from Peel Session 02-04-04
- Helter Skelter by Siouxsie & The Banshees from The Peel Sessions [Strange Fruit]
- O.F.Y.C. Showcase by The Fall from Your Future Our Clutter [Domino]
- Hail Mary Mallon is a hip-hop group consisting of Aesop Rock, Rob Sonic, and DJ Big Wiz. The group’s name is a reference to Typhoid Mary. (via Wikipedia).
- Mister Heavenly is Honus Honus of Man Man, Nicholas Thorburn ofIslands and The Unicorns, and Joe Plummer of Modest Mouse and The Shins. Out of Love is out on Sub Pop Records.
- Slave Ambient by The War On Drugs is out on Secretly Canadian. Pitchfork liked it. I like what I’ve heard so far. Just missed them in Milwaukee. Dang.
- The new album by Handsome Furs is one of my favorite albums of 2011. It’s out now on Sub Pop Records.
- Charles Bradley is an amazing singer with an amazing story. You can read some of it over at Wikipedia. Much love to Gabriel Roth Daptone Records for giving the man a chance. We are all better for it.
- New Ladytron album teaser for Gravity The Seducer on Youtube.
- Amber Hands by S.C.U.M. is available via Mute (UK) Records’ Soundcloud Page.
- Gangsta (Ad Rock Remix) by Tune-Yards is available via Beggars Group.
- Grab the new TV Girl EP, free for the price of an email address, over at their Facebook page.
- New Pomplamoose Video, Monster Mask is on Youtube.
The Snake On The Lake Festival, presented by WSUM & WUD is Saturday, 10 Sept 2011, 4:30pm-12 midnight, on the UW-Terrace in Madison, WI. Here’s a link to the Facebook Event. Schedule follows:
- Vieux Farka Toure – 10:30 pm – midnight
- Prussia – 9:00 pm – 9:50 pm
- Hustle Rose + K.Raydio – 7:30 pm – 8:20 pm
- Defcee – 6:40 pm – 7:10 pm
- Hit Mayne – 5:50 pm – 6:20 pm
- The Choons 5:00 pm – 5:30 pm
- WSUM DJ – 4:30 pm – 5:00 pm
- TV On The Radio will play at The Pabst Theatre in Milwaukee, WI, on Thu, 01 Sept 2011, doors open @ 7:30pm, tix – $27.50
- The Budos Band will play UW-Terrace, in Madison, WI, on Sat, 03 Sept 2011, @ 8:00pm, Also: 357 STRING BAND w/ Taalbi Brothers, FREE
- White Rabbits will play at the UW-Terrace in Madison, WI, on Sun, 04 Sept 2011, at 22:00, FREE show. Also, fireworks.
- Male Bonding will play at The Sett (UW-Union South) in Madison, WI, on Wed, 07 Sept 2011, 8:00pm show, w/ Love Inks, FREE
- Tobacco and the rest of Black Moth Super Rainbow will play at theMajestic Theatre in Madison, WI, on Fri, 09 Sept 2011 @ 9:00pm, doors 8:00pm, tix – $15 adv, $18 day of show
- Megafaun will play at the High Noon Saloon in Madison, WI, on Thu, 29 Sept 2011, early show, 7:30pm, tix – $12 adv/dos, 18+ show
- The Besnard Lakes will play at the High Noon Saloon in Madison, WI, on Sun, 02 Oct 2011 @ 8:00pm, tix – $12 day of show, $10 in advance.
- Wilco will play the Overture Hall in Madison, WI, on Wed, 05 Oct 2011 @ 7:30pm, tix – $40 adv/dos, seated show, all ages
- Dum Dum Girls and Crocodiles will play the High Noon Saloon in Madison, WI, on Thu, 18 Oct 2011, 8:30pm, tix – $14, $12 in advance, 18+ show.
- Gang Gang Dance will play at the Majestic Theatre in Madison, WI, on Wed, 19 Oct 2011 @ 8:30pm, doors 7:30pm, tix – $10
- The Avett Brothers will play at the Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee, WI, on Fri, 18 Nov 2011, 7pm, tix – $35