- Black History Month by Death From Above 1979 from You’re A Woman, I’m a Machine [Vice]
- Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect by The Decemberists from Castaways and Cutouts [Kill Rock Stars]
- Maybe You Can Owe Me by Architecture In Helsinki from In Case We Die [Bar/None]
- Answer To Yourself by The Soft Pack from The Soft Pack [Kemado]
- Ambling Alp by Yeasayer from Odd Blood [Secretly Canadian]
- You Never Wash Up After Yourself by Radiohead from My Iron Lung [Capitol]
- Arrest Yourself by Hot Chip from The Warning [EMI/Astralwerks/DFA]
- Bomb Yourself by TV On The Radio from Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes [Touch And Go]
- If You Find Yourself Caught In Love by Belle And Sebastian from Dear Catastrophe Waitress [Rough Trade]
- You Can’t Force A Dance Party by Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele from Daytrotter Sessions [Daytrotter Sessions]
- Faces by Yeah Yeah Yeahs from It’s Blitz! [Interscope]
- Air Aid by Menomena from Friend And Foe [Barsuk]
- Sloop John B (A Cappella) by The Beach Boys from Pet Sounds Sessions [Capitol]
- John Allyn Smith Sails by Okkervil River from The Stage Names [Jagujaguar]
- I Want To Go Home by Johnny Cash from Songs Of Our Soil [Columbia]
- New Theory by Washed Out from Life of Leisure EP [Mexican Summer]
- Low Shoulder by Toro Y Moi from Causers of This [Carpark]
- Saturday Come Slow by Massive Attack from Heligoland [Virgin/EMI]
- Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up) by Florence And The Machine from Lungs [Universal Republic]
- Satellite Mind (Radio Edit) by Metric from Fantasies [Last Gang / Arts and Crafts]
- Down Again by The Superjesus from Sumo [Warner Australia]
- Our Productive Years Are Fleeting by The Berg Sans Nipple from Along the Quai-Vinyl [Team Love]
- Take It In by Hot Chip from One Life Stand [Astralwerks/Parlophone]
- Flume by Peter Gabriel from Scratch My Back [Virgin]
- Hell by Tegan & Sara from Sainthood [Sire / Wea]
- Anchorage by Surfer Blood from Astrocoast [Kanine]
- Janine by Soul Coughing from Ruby Vroom [Warner]
- I was very excited to play Sloop John B (A Cappella) by The Beach Boys, John Allyn Smith Sails by Okkervil River, and I Want To Go Home by Johnny Cash. The song that most of us know as Sloop John B is actually a folk song that is much older. Johnny Cash’s 1959 version isn’t even considered the definitive one. More info at Wikipedia. (or your local library, kids!)
- Odd Blood by Yeasayer is out 02/09/2010. They are releasing it digitally on Amazon for a special price today, 02/08. — Also, Yeasayer will be on tour with Sleigh Bells this winter/spring. In Madison 04/28/2010 at the Majestic.
- One Life Stand by Hot Chip is out 02/09/2010. They just performed on Jimmy Fallon, which you can see here.
- Heligoland by Massive Attack is out 02/09/2010. They had been streaming their album over at NPR.
- Peter Gabriel just released an album of covers called Scratch My Back, which includes not only the Bon Iver track that I played today, but Heroes by Bowie, My Body Is A Cage by The Arcade Fire, and The Book Of Love by The Magnetic Fields. I haven’t picked up a copy yet, but I plan to.
- I have a big place in my heart for Soul Coughing. They are a band I wouldn’t have known about except for college radio. I had to play this song after Mike Doughty posted on Twitter, “Soul Coughing fans note: the real-life Janine is texting me exultant texts about that touchdown call.”