Show aired on WSUM, 91.7 FM, 2010-01-04, 2-4pm
The station is on an open schedule right now, so spent the afternoon playing some tracks left over from my Best of 2009 show. Here’s the list:
- French Navy by Camera Obscura from My Maudlin Career (4AD)
- Green River by Real Estate from Real Estate (Woodsist)
- You’re A Jerk by Bang Bang Eche from Sonic Death Cuntttt (Self-Released)
- Love Comes Close by Cold Cave from Love Comes Close (Matador)
- Tonight by The Clientele from Bonfires On The Heath (Merge)
- No One Said This Would Be Easy by The Postmarks from Memoirs At The End Of The World (Unfiltered)
- Crown On The Ground by Sleigh Bells from Self-Released
- Isaiah 45:23 by The Mountain Goats from Life Of The World To Come (4AD)
- Hysteric by Yeah Yeah Yeahs from It’s Blitz (Interscope)
- This Tornado Loves You by Neko Case from Middle Cyclone (Anti)
- Sunday Morning by Beck from Record Club (Self-Released)
- No You Don’t by Islands from Vapours (Anti/Epitaph)
- So Insane by Discovery from LP
- Phantom Limb by Fuck Buttons from Tarot Sport (ATP Recordings)
- Rising 5 by Hudson Mohawke from Butter (Warp)
- Growls Garden by Clark from Totems Flare (Warp)
- Periodically Double Or Triple by Yo La Tengo from Popular Songs (Matador)
- Change Of Heart by El Perro Del Mar from Love Is Not Pop (TCG/The Control Group)
- The Warm Heart Of Africa by The Very Best from The Warm Heart Of Africa (Green Owl Recordings)
- Laura by Girls from Album (True Panther Sounds)
- Crying Lightning by Arctic Monkeys from Humbug (Domino)
- I Can Be A Frog by The Flaming Lips from Embryonic (Warner)
- Combination Pizza Hut & Taco Bell by Das Racist & Wallpaper (Self-Released)
- We’re Both In Love With A Sexy Lady by Flight Of The Conchords from I Told You I Was Freaky (Sub Pop/HBO)
- Up From Below by Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros from Up From Below (Community Records)
- Written In Reverse by Spoon from Written In Reverse Single (Merge)
- Stand Up by Lee Fields with Sugarman & Co. from Daptone Gold (Daptone)
- I’ll Shoot The Moon by Tom Waits from Glitter And Doom Live (Anti)
- Dear God by Monsters Of Folk from Monsters Of Folk (Shangri-La Music)
A couple of thoughts:
Yo La Tengo will be playing in Madison @ Barrymore Theatre, Jan 23, 2010, 8pm. Tickets available via True Endeavors or The Barrymore.
Combination Pizza Hut And Taco Bell was just too weird of an internet meme to not include. Consider this Pitchfork Review of this song. Also worth considering, this Overcompensating Comic about this song. Then again, maybe that’s just too obscure.
I was sad to see Flight Of The Conchords get canceled, but the series probably had run its course. I would have preferred to play Too Many Dicks (On The Dancefloor), but that’s probably not FCC-friendly. I loved seeing these guys live, since I doubt I’ll get the chance again anytime soon.
Beck’s version of Sunday Morning by The Velvet Underground was one of the highlights of his Record Club project for me. Basically, he and his friends got together to play covers of famous songs by The Velvet Underground, Leonard Cohen, and Skip Spence. By his friends, I mean Jeff Tweedy, Leslie Feist, and Devendra Banhart. Project is ongoing at Beck’s website.
Don’t forget to listen to the rest of the WSUM Morning Zoo for their Best of 2009 shows the rest of this week, 6-8am on WSUM 91.7 FM (streaming online at WSUM.org)
This will be my last time plugging the Madison A.V. Club article on WSUM Morning Zoo Best of 2009 Shows.